Learn from top recruiter what are the skills needed for an MEP engineer in your area
MEP stands for Mechanical, Electrical, and Plumbing. It can be best described as a field that is concerned with the planning, designing, and managing of all MEP systems in a building or critical facility. An MEP engineer is someone who has dedicated all his life to buildings such as data centers and making them habitable and efficient spaces. Everything from the drainage and lighting all the way to the heating system of a building comes under the responsibility of an MEP engineer.
In order to become an MEP engineer, you are required to have a solid background in terms of both education and training. In addition to having a mechanical engineering degree, there are additional skills that are required in order to become a successful MEP engineer. We will discuss some of those skills down below;
Knowledge of Computer-aided Designing (CAD)
- As an MEP engineer, you must have great knowledge and control over some of the most popular CAD tools and software that are being used in the market today. You have to communicate all your ideas and designs primarily through drawing, so experience in drafting is an absolute necessity.
Knowledge about CAD tools like AutoCAD and Microstation is a must because they are the best and most used CAD tools today.
Knowledge about Building Information Modelling (BIM)
- In the past decade, building information modeling software has become more and more popular and has changed the world of building designing as a whole. Some of the most popular BIM software that is being used today are Revit, ARCHICAD, Vectorworks architects, and Autodesk BIM 360.
Since the use of BIM software is gaining traction, it is being used by some of the top MEP firms in the world. Training and acquiring knowledge about them is an absolute must.
- As an MEP engineer, you are required to be a strong-minded analytical thinker who is capable of finding a solution to the problems that are raised by employers and clients alike. As an MEP engineer, you should be able to;
- Properly st analyze test results and come up with solutecessary adjustments based on these results.
- Develop new and efficient prototypes and test them.
- Design and study mechanical devices and projects
- Ensure that all designs meet the legal and safety requirements and guidelines.
- Identify all the improvements and adjustments in a potential design
- Perform important system and equipment calculations.
- Test all building materials for quality control.
- Work constantly to improve and maintain all the existing products.
All of these attributes and more are what make a great MEP engineer.
- All the roles associated with facing clients and talking to them are of the utmost importance in the MEP engineering field. As an MEP engineer, it is your job to clearly get all your ideas and thoughts across to the clients to avoid any confusion and misunderstandings down the line. It is also your job to maintain good relations with all your clients.
Therefore, to become a successful MEP engineer, you must have strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Finally, you need to be a good team player to succeed in the MEP field. Similar to communication, good teamwork and team building are also needed in all MEP jobs. Good teamwork is additionally important because MEP is a multidisciplinary industry. You have got a collection of architects, mechanical, electrical, and civil engineers, and a lot of the projects include plenty of back-and-forths between these teams.
So, while working as an MEP engineer, it is your job to coordinate all building plans and designs with all the other team members. That is why excellent teamwork skills are required to make your overall experience in the industry enjoyable and profitable.
In the text above, we discussed some of the key skills required to become successful in the field of MEP engineering. In addition to having the necessary education and training, these skills will ensure that your overall experience in the mechanical, electrical, and plumbing field will be an enjoyable one.
MEP engineering is a field that is in high demand nowadays. So, if you are someone who has queries about the MEP field like what does an MEP engineer do, where is the best place to get a degree in MEP engineering, or if you are looking for a job in the MEP industry then contact us today at Pkaza.